Archive for May, 2009
From May 8, 2009 column:
These results are powerful evidence in a long-running debate. Some experts, mostly surrounding the education establishment, argue that schools alone can’t produce big changes. The problems are in society, and you have to work on broader issues like economic inequality. Reformers, on the other hand, have argued that school-based approaches can produce big results.
I’m in one of those stages with no big projects or adventures or cool trips to look forward to, so I need to remind myself to not forget quotidian items that reliably pierce the clouds. Ten off the top of my head:
- Solo trail runs.
- Trail runs with friends.
- First 83 cups of coffee in the morning.
- Dinner with Stacey.
- Harold Mabern at full force.
- For some reason, merino wool tops make me very happy.
- A good chai is nice.
- Interesting e-mail exchanges.
- Perusing Slate.
- At some point during the day, each of the pets does something that makes me smile.
Your list?1 comment